Through our internships program, Greenwood reaches out to the local community to create safe, meaningful and diverse opportunities for students to explore a particular interest, develop skills, build character, appreciate the value of academics, and refine aspirations for their future.
Internships have included:
- information technology
- staffing the local food shelf
- early childhood development
- sports management
- automotive mechanics
- screen printing and embroidery
- horse care and training
- ski and bike repair
- handcrafted arts
In addition to the intern experience itself, we have developed a process that provides important learning opportunities.
- Interested students first complete an application describing why they would be well-suited for the job.
- They then interview with the intern coordinator and, on occasion, with the host.
- Once selected for an internship, students participate in a professionalism workshop.
- In this workshop school and host expectations are clarified, and students work collaboratively to consider work ethic and appropriate conduct.
- Students establish goals for the experience as well as personal development.
- Half-way through each term, students formally reflect on their progress towards these goals, and assess challenges and identify strategies to overcome them.
- In the end, each student writes a formal thank-you letter to their mentor expressing their personal, academic and social growth through the experience.